Home > Sampler, Tear Down > Ensoniq ASR-X Teardown/Repair

Ensoniq ASR-X Teardown/Repair

November 10th, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

Here are some pictures of me opening and replacing the save button in an Ensoniq ASR-X.  This is one of my favorite samplers to work on do to its design.  The ASR-X also came loaded with some pretty classic sounds, which I’ll post once the samples are all edited.  Here is the demo song that comes loaded on the ASR-X.

ASR-X missing save button

phpf24qnopm

ASR with face plate removed

phpivtpnmpm

Up Close

phpv48scjpm

Face plate removed

php0agj9cpm

Backside of Faceplate

phpq8jejhpm

Face panel PCB missing the save button

phpv89voqpm

Face panel PCB with save button

phpye0eiupm

Ensoniq ASR-X with save button replaced

asrxafter

-tron

1. E Tubbs
    December 22nd, 2010 at 13:32 | #1

Would love to get sample set from the asr-x! some classic hip hop sounds in there!

2. Jay enso
    March 4th, 2012 at 21:51 | #2

where did you buy the button??

3. a.a.
    March 7th, 2012 at 13:04 | #4

Quick question – do you have to solder the button on the board or does it just slip on? I have some dead buttons I need to replace but I don’t have much solder experience so I wanted to check before ordering. Thanks for the post though, just got my ASR-X and I love it … and I’m coming from an MPC so take that Akai! 🙂

4. July 6th, 2012 at 12:53 | #5

Had to solder the button to the board, it was SMD and not through hole

5. chuck
    April 8th, 2014 at 17:42 | #6

that link is to the switch but what about the actual black button?

does that come with the switch?

6. February 8th, 2017 at 18:10 | #7

Hi, which version of the OS do you have installed ? I tried 2.67 but my asr- x doesn’t like it

7. February 11th, 2017 at 10:24 | #8

This was for an old client of my studio, and I no longer have access to the sampler.

8. February 11th, 2017 at 10:26 | #9

Black button cap doesn’t come with the switch. I will usually resort to 3D printing the button caps if I can’t find them online.

9. Chris
    July 19th, 2017 at 05:39 | #10

Can you think of a reason why ALL of the buttons would not work on the top portion of the ASR-X(Pro)? I had a couple buttons that were ‘mushed’ in, so I removed the panel, set them straight, then upon re-assembling- I was distraught to find ALL the buttons no longer worked. The data entry knobs and the volume knob work fine. Before opening the top the buttons were working fine. I was very careful and did not noticeable damage anything. Is there a ‘stupid’ something I did or forgot to do?

Thanks