Launchpad + Raspberry Pi
Hi there. I got Novation Launchpad connected with the Raspberry Pi running the Raspbian installation and talking with Pure Data.
I wanted to be able to load PD patches on the Pi, let it run under the hood of the launchpad and output custom midi.
These were the steps I took:
1. Installed raspbian on the sd card and got the pi booted up. If you are having trouble check out the Raspbian FAQ
2. Got PureData installed and got PD talking with alsa.
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install puredata
3. Got dependancies and configured the launchpad executable driver “launchpadd” on the pi.
$ sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
$ sudo apt-get install automake
$ autoreconf -i
$ make install
4. Installed other drivers for other perferials, I used the MidiSport Uno usb midi cable.
5. Loaded up my PD skeches on the Raspberry Pi and started them up.
6. To have the Launchpadd executable run at startup I changed the /.profile file in linux to start the “launchpadd” program at login.
Some of the things I would like to do to finish this project is to build an awsome enclosure to hold the pi and the launchpad also use the gpio pins for midi instead of the usb to midi converter.
I’m using a sketch that changes the output channel of the LP with the top row of buttons. its like having 8x launchpads.
Here’s a zip including all the readme files, launchpadd driver and a pd sketch to test the functionality of the launchpad. launchberrypi_files.zip
also here’s a link to get pd-extended running on the pi PD_extended_on_RaspberryPi